Our life living off the land in our log cabin, breathing fresh mountain air, and getting back to basics.

Friday, September 7, 2012

What Happened to Thursday's Post?

Better late than never!  I've had the unfortunate experience (for the first time during my Log Cabin Life, and in fact ever, here) that the internet is a bit persnickety up here in the mountains...I was not able to connect yesterday afternoon, and after much conversation with Verizon, the only internet carrier option up here at this point, they determined it was my MiFi unit.  Oddly, even our nearest neighbors Charlie & Andrea were not able to connect...Verizon said they still thought it was my unit and there were no access issues in our area...  They are quick shipping me a new one (which of course I have to pay for or I wait 5 days or so), so by noon Saturday I should be back in full swing.

But WOO HOO, happily for me, this morning the unit it working!!!  (Makes me wonder what the real problem was.  Or maybe the universe knew I was distressed that I could not publish my blog post yesterday and got the unit working...good karma working for me or something like that.) Which means I don't have to drive the 20 miles into town to use free wifi somewhere.  So this Friday morning, you get Thursday's post that I had begun preparing but never got to publish.  I sure hope the unit is still working this afternoon so I can post today's post, or I will be going to town!

This is a Jack o Lantern mushroom.  Beautiful. Big, Bright. Bountiful.  At night they say they glow in the dark. POISONOUS!  It won't kill you, but it will make you extremely sick.  This is the first time we have ever seen them.  This is up close,,,
...this is the field...if a person were to eat all these mushrooms, they very likely would die.
Jack o lantern's look a lot like Chanterelle mushrooms, a delicacy.  This is a good example of why caution must be used when hunting mushrooms.  Fortunately for me, Mountain Man is very knowledgeable on this subject, and for the experience eye, the differences are obvious:)

I am sharing a quick video of our creek.  Because it is soothing.  Because it sounds like music.  Because it is not poisonous!  I hope you enjoy:)
video

It is serendipitous to me that I had decided to post this calming video for you yesterday, being that I could use some calming after all this internet fiasco.  Love the sound! 

Thanks for reading my blog, you are the best f/f/r/s/f's, see you later this afternoon,
Lise

5 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

WOW those mushrooms are beautiful! So is your creek sounds.

Dad/Pepere said...

Those mushrooms...so much beauty in nature! And...you have really stepped it up with the video of the creek! I played it over several times and it brought me back to my June visit. Hugs!

Lise said...

I know, those mushrooms are really amazing! Just don't eat them!

We are fortunate that we can go to sleep with the sounds of the creek each and every night!

jeannettestgermain said...

Wow, am so happy you didn't have to drive those 20 miles to post. Love the sound of the water!

Lise said...

Me too jeannettestgermain:) Thanks for stopping by!