A little over a week ago we had the shell of the first section completed. Eventually, naturally growing rhododendron branches (by naturally I mean not straight) will be secured between those posts and rails making a random decorative design (they will have a skip peel finish). Also, the flat top of each post will be whittled/carved so that the width matches the top rail.
The next step was preparing the corner post for installation. Mountain Man (Johny) used a chain saw to make the initial cuts of the triangular section that needed to come out, a chisel would be used to get deeper into the wood...because this post would be on the corner, it would be attached on two sides of the deck (little did we know how challenging this would become).
We decided we could fix that crack (after much debate about starting with a new post, which meant going on a hunt for one because we had just the right amount of post logs for the entire deck and this particular one had the largest diameter) to use a bolt to try to decrease the width of the crack, but also to secure it for the long term. We figured that because the post would be attached with a total of 4 - 5" screws, two on each side of the deck, that this could work (worst case scenario, we'd go log hunting). This is the crack before surgery...
In order to install the corner post, Mountain Man prepared the post mortise for the foot rail tenon connection and inserted the foot rail with the skip peel finish to test the fit.
Finally, we had a match and good fit. We used 2 - 5" screws were used on each deck girder; a total of 4 - 5" screws are holding this post up, I do believe we are safe and secure!
Thanks for reading my blog, you are the best f/f/r/s/f's, see you tomorrow,