Our life living off the land in our log cabin, breathing fresh mountain air, and getting back to basics.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Roof Leak Repair

We've had a minor water seepage problem along the backside wall of the bathroom where the access panel is for so long I don't even remember when it started.  We always attributed it to sweating pipes (that happens here in the spring and summer when the well water is still so cold but the air is warm).  We've frequently removed the access panel, checked all the pipes, but have never been able to resolve the problem.  Then a few days ago, during a very heavy rain, I noticed a drip running down the wall from the ceiling...definitely not sweating pipes. A look at the roof gave us a clear indication of where the problem was coming from...the bathroom exhaust pipe was positioned in just the right spot and was likely the root of the problem.
Armed with a tube of waterproof/freeze proof/crack proof silicone, we began our roof leak repair...a project filled with several comical, learn-as-you-go moments that took twice as long as we anticipated but was filled with laughter and satisfying successes.  We positioned the ladders on the deck...
...and wanted to secure the one lying across the roof with a rope extended over the roof and tied to the railing on the other side of the cabin.
Johny used his bow that he modified with a fishing reel spindle (he used this before to get a rope saw over a branch so he could saw it down and open up my mountain view, very clever and you wouldn't believe it unless you saw it)...
 ...and by tying a fishing line to the arrow...
 ...sailed the arrow and the line over the roof...
...which took several attempts as the line would get caught and keep the arrow from sailing...you can see this attempt had the arrow perpendicular to the roof at one point...
After chuckling after each failed attempt, we decided he should get off the ladder and establish and Archer's stance...
...and the arrow sailed all the way over the roof and into the ground below...but when we tugged on it to pull it and the rope it was attached to over the roof, the line broke...a little frustration, some laughter and an a-ha moment (learn-as-you-go)...
we realized we needed to add a lighter rope to attach to the fishing line to get it over the roof...
Try, try again...we tied the nylon rope to the fishing line then aimed the arrow up and over the roof...it sailed like a bird in flight right into the tree branches on the other side of the cabin...yes, more comic relief...
...using an improvised hook helped us get the arrow down.
We were able to gently pull on the fishing line until the nylon roof came over the roof...at this point we are laughing at our success and excited that we might actually get to the leak repair.
After attaching the nylon to the rope and a few good tugs, the heavy duty rope came tumbling over the roof...
...I wrapped it around the post, the rail and then tied it to another post...better safe than sorry...



 ...and Johny was ready to climb.
This was actually the easy part of the job!  He inspected his patching job closely to be sure every possible hole/crack was sealed and climbed back to solid ground. 
Job well done (though it may not look too pretty up close)...
 ...and hopefully no more leaks...that's the important part.

Though it took much longer than we expected, we had fun and felt good when we were finished.  Can't wait to see what hard to reach places we use that modified bow & arrow for next!

Thanks for reading my blog, you are the best f/f/r/s/f's, see you tomorrow,
Lise

8 comments:

blindpigandtheacorn.com said...

Great job! And I'm hoping it fixed the leak!!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Wish I had been a field mouse and seen and heard that DIY project going on. LOL

NCmountainwoman said...

Fantastic! And now he is a bonafide mountain man!

Powell River Books said...

We've been very lucky with our roof. So far, so good. The only problem was one wind storm that ripped the wood stove pipe out of the side wall. That made a big mess and stained the wall, but a new pipe with sealing fixed the problem. - Margy

Lise said...

Me too Tipper, only time will tell!

Patti, it was funny. And what's funniest is after it was all done, we actually wondered if we even had to tie off the ladder! Better safe than sorry, neither of us are very fond of heights:)

LOL NCmountainwoman! If that doesn't do it, I'm not sure what would.

Margy, that does sound like a mess! Glad it didn't cause too much inconvenience.

Dad/Pepere said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun and a satisfying conclusion. Hugs!

Marie said...

If at first you don't succeed! :-) Cute post and very informative. Glad you got the leak fixed.

Lise said...

Yes dad, lets hope the leak is fixed! Hugs back!

True Marie, persistence is key. Time will tell if the leak is fixed though...